In this post i am sharing a small tip how to achieve a better search engine ranking and also to improve your site usability, I recommend that you change the default permalink structure for your WordPress site.
Default Permalink Structure:
Recommended Permalink Structure:
Original Source: uxrevisions.com
http://example.com/category/post-name/ or http://example.com/year/month/day/post-name
By default, WordPress uses web URLs which have question marks and lots of numbers in them. However, WordPress gives you the ability to create a custom URL structure for your permalinks and archives. This not only helps you to improve the aesthetics, usability, and forward-compatibility of your links, but it also allows you insert keywords into your URLs, which can help you achieve better search engine rankings.
When you customized your Permalink Structure successfully
if you’re changing your old permalink structure to a new one, your site will LOSE the links love from other sites that have linked to you. Your site will NOT get credits for all the inbound links linking to your OLD permalink blog (instead of the new one).
But we are lucky because we are using a great WordPress Platform. now we can fix this issue within 2 min.
With this WordPress plugin, you can safely change your permalink structure without breaking the old links to your website,and even doesn’t affect your search engine rankings
By now, you know how can you change your permalinks without losing the traffic you’re already getting. You can download the Plugin to achieve this for you.
These plugin will generates a “301 Redirect” when user or spider visit your site through old permalinks,and redirect them to the new permalinks of the same post.
Do not fear to change your permalink structure now, you would never lose any visitors due to changed addresses.
I personally recommend Permalinks Migration Plugin for WordPress if you are going to ‘permanently’ change your old permalink structure to a new one (to /%category%/postname%/
/%category%/%postname%/%post_id%/ (this is best permalinks structure i recommend)
1. DOWNLOAD: Dean’s Permalink Migration for WordPress
- unzip and upload the file into your wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate it on your Admin Panel->Plugin Management page.
- goto admin panel->options->PermalinksMigration.set the old permanlink structure of your site.
- goto admin panel->options->Permalinks.change the new permalink structure to what you want. (personally I recommend /%category%/%postname%/)
- Done,enjoy it.
A big thanks to Dean Lee for his awesome contribution to the WordPress community
2. DOWNLOAD Permalink Redirect WordPress Plugin
It’s a “WordPress plugin that replies a 301 permanent redirect, if requested URI is different from entryâ€™s (or archiveâ€™s) permalink. It is used to ensure that there is only one URL associated with each blog entry.”
3. DOWNLOAD Angsuman’s Permanent Redirect
This plugin works “[w]hen a post or static page (in WP context) is fetched (using its permalink) for viewing the plugin checks if the post has a â€œredirectâ€ custom field set. If it is set then a permanent redirect status is sent to the client/browser indicating that the post has permanently moved to the location (URL) specified in the value of â€œredirectâ€. So the viewer is automatically moved to the new location.”
Take these steps then in following order:
1. Download and install Permalink Migration plugin
2. Unzip it, drop it in wp-content/plugins folder and activate it;
3. Now go to admin panel->options->PermalinksMigration
4. And then set the old, default permalink structure of your site in the form.
5. Now go to Your admin panel Settings–>Permalinks. Now change it to – /%category%/%postname%/
Now instead of hitting 404 error page, user will be automatically redirected to Your new structure URL in moments and search engine spiders also will find new links faster and change it! Nice one!